Ultrasound imaging is also known as diagnostic medical sonography and is a medical procedure that uses an instrument that releases high frequency sound waves that go into the body and as a result, these sound waves produce images of the patient’s body. This kind of equipment is also utilized in other medical areas like gynecology, echocardiography for examining heart conditions, neurosonology for assessing the health status of the spine and the brain, and ophthalmology that focuses on the eyes.
Becoming an ultrasound technician requires a lot of training and educational background. Medical sonographers are well-trained in using the ultrasound equipment.
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Responsibilities
- explain the medical procedure that will be done to the patient;
- note medical histories,
- operate the equipment properly,
- classify the images captured by the ultrasound and;
- maintain the equipment.
These responsibilities may seem easy but a specialization, specifically an ultrasound technician certification, is needed.
To begin the process of earning the requirements needed to acquire the certification, an aspiring technician should have accomplished at least a two-year associate degree from a school that is accredited by the Commission on Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), these include many online schools. The student who wants to earn an ultrasound technician certification must possess a strong background in Math, Science or any healthcare subjects. Other requirements are training programs in the fields of anatomy, physics, physiology, and medical ethics.
After attending the training, future technicians will have to submit their application for the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) exam. The ARDMS exam will measure the credibility and eligibility of an ultrasound technician to be given the ultrasound technician certification. Once the certification has been awarded to an aspirant, he or she is eligible for employment in all healthcare facilities around the country.
Some of the advantages of being a certified ultrasound technician are:
- the freedom to choose various work places
- expertise in sonography utilization procedures and
- full awareness of the medical ethics
Another advantage of a certified ultrasound technician is the power to develop personal and professional satisfaction and becoming an integral part of the healthcare team. The average ultrasound technician salary varies according to the results of the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In 2006, the average salary was $57,160. However in the year 2009 the salary of an ultrasound technician reached up to $63,010. The amount of salary depends on the local job market in your area.
As regards to the ultrasound technician school that offers a certification for ultrasound technicians, several schools located in different states are known for offering unique ultrasound or sonography degrees.
Recommended Diagnostic Medical Sonography Schools!
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.