Perhaps its time to begin searching for sonography schools in Washington? Healthcare jobs increase every year by the thousands, and as technology takes on a bigger role in medicine, experienced technicians become more in demand. With metropolitan areas such as Olympia, Seattle, and Spokane, there is a constantly growing need for qualified Ultrasound Technicians. If the large cities are not for you, there can be great opportunities in smaller towns as well.
Career Outlook for Medical Sonographers in Washington
Employment growth in Washington for Sonographers through the ten year period 2010-2020 looks great. According to Careerinfonet.org available jobs will improve by 23%. This compares to the projected nationwide growth of 44% over the same ten year period. On the National level this comes out to over 3,000 job openings per year due to growth and net replacement. Enrolling in a first-rate Diagnostic Medical Sonography school in Washington is a very good way to secure a spot in this rewarding career.
Recommended Ultrasound Technician Schools in Washington
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- And more...
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Salary in Washington
According to the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics the 2012 average annual salary for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in Washington was $79,980. Finding an accredited Diagnostic Medical Sonographer School in Washington is going to be your first step towards bringing in a salary that is higher than the average wage earned in Washington. So if you’re searching for a new profession, you should certainly consider becoming an ultrasound technician.
Find Ultrasound Technician Schools in Washington
The first thing to look for when choosing an ultrasound school in Washington is to find out if it is accredited by the CAAHEP. In terms of health science accreditors, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs is the biggest in the U.S..
The ARDMS exam requires a minimum amount of clinical training before you are eligible to sit for it, and unaccredited programs usually do not offer enough to meet the minimum. The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography is the largest licensing body for diagnostic medical sonographers in the U.S.. Being certified by the ARDMS makes you eligible to be employed by virtually all hospitals. Even though you can work as an ultrasound technician without an ARDMS license, many insurance companies will not pay claims for ultrasounds taken by unlicensed techs.
Aside from earning your clinical hours through your training program, you will need to complete them through work experience at private clinics or doctors’ offices that do not require a license. The challenge with this method is that these are low paying positions that are, truthfully, not easy to find. Instead, you will likely be working in mainly part time situations, for hourly rates that will not come close to covering the cost of your education. Obtaining the necessary 1,000 hours you need for exam eligibility will be very hard in a part time position.