Maybe its time to get started searching for Ultrasound Technician classes in Louisiana? Even though overall job growth has steadily declined, medical related jobs continue to grow at a steady pace. As the population in areas such as Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Shreveport grows so does the need for qualified sonographers. However, there are also many employment opportunities in small communities across Louisiana as well.
Career Outlook for Medical Sonographers in Louisiana
Employment growth in Louisiana for Sonographers over the ten year period 2010-2020 is predicted to be great. According to Careerinfonet.org available jobs will rise by 35%. This compares to the anticipated nationwide growth of 44% over the same ten year period. On the National level this equals to over three thousand job openings each year due to growth and net replacement. Finding a good Ultrasound Technician school in Louisiana is an excellent way to secure a place in this rewarding career.
Recommended Ultrasound Technician Schools in Louisiana
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- And more...
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Salary in Louisiana
Being an Ultrasound Technician in the State of Louisiana comes with an average yearly salary of $56,140 according to figures reported by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2012. With an income like this you will be making a salary higher than the average person in Louisiana This is the time to make the decision that could possibly change your life and steer you to a great career as an ultrasound technician.
Find Great Ultrasound Technician Schools in Louisiana
The first thing to look for when selecting a diagnostic medical sonography school in Louisiana is to determine if it is accredited by the CAAHEP. The largest accreditor in the health sciences fields is the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
The primary concern with unaccredited programs is that not very many of them will offer enough hands on experience to be eligible to take the ARDMS exam. ARDMS stands for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography and is the organization that provides licensing for diagnostic medical sonographers in the U.S. Being licensed by the ARDMS makes you eligible to be employed by virtually any hospital. It has been reported that some insurance companies will not pay claims for ultrasounds performed by unlicensed technicians.
Without achieving enough hours of practical training while attending school, you will need to earn hours by working with doctors or clinics that don’t require you to have a license. Unfortunately, these jobs can be very hard to find, and are not going to pay a typical sonographer salary. You will likely be working part time and getting far less than your time and training is worth. Reaching the needed 1,000 hours you need for exam eligibility will be frustrating in a part time situation.